[arch-general] ML is being sent to Spam by Gmail

Florian Pritz bluewind at xinu.at
Wed Jun 8 08:55:38 UTC 2016

On 08.06.2016 06:26, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:
> dkim header remarks indicate either failed or missing dkim sigs for
> those messages.

That's weird. For me the signatures very just fine. Could you show me
the exact error you get (assuming there is one)?

Maybe also run the full mail (source, including headers) through
`opendkim-testmsg` (part of the opendkim package)? If there is no error,
the mail verifies fine.

Also missing DKIM signatures are not our fault and FWIW a missing
signature should not cause mails to go to spam. An invalid signature
also shouldn't unless there is a DMARC policy for that domain that
states so. archlinux.org currently doesn't publish a DMARC policy so the
default of letting everything through applies.

We do change the From address of any mail that uses DMARC though and
resign the mail with our key so that signatures for those mails are
valid. Since we change the From address, the DMARC policy of the
original sender no longer matters.

I don't know if gmail provides any information as to why they classify a
specific mail as spam, but if they do, please show me. If they do not,
please send me all the headers of one mail that has been delivered to
spam so I can check them for possible problems.

Do the mails that go to spam have anything in common? Do they all
contain links or are they all sent by users from a specific domain? For
mails where we change the From address, the old address appears is added
to CC so check that as well.

Florian