[arch-general] yaourt doesn't upgrade aur-packages anymore

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Fri Jun 10 10:30:00 UTC 2016

On Fri, 10 Jun 2016 11:18:41 +0200, Apfelkuchen wrote:
>(in English: synchronizing the database; core, extra community are up
>to date)

off-topic

Hi,

instead of translating, temporarily changing the LANG variable might be
the better approach.

$ LANG=C some-command

It's not related to the issue, anyway, just in case you shouldn't do
this already, I strongly recommend to upgrade from official repositories
first, by using the official supported tool, IOW

$ sudo pacman -Syu

and then

$ yaourt -Syua

"yaourt -Syua" most likely never will fail, but you never know.

On Fri, 10 Jun 2016 02:28:58 -0700, Patrick Burroughs (Celti) wrote:
>First off, questions about the AUR go to the aur-general mailing list.

OTOH the AUR comments could be more appropriate for tools that aren't
official supported. OTOH AUR comments aren't a support forum. It's
controversial, I just want to point out, that helpers are a thorn in
some subscribers side. However, I like yaourt much and also would
recommend to use AUR general.

>Look closely at those version numbers, then `man PKGBUILD` and search
>for "epoch".

$ man PKGBUILD|grep -A4 epoch|head -n6
       epoch
           Used to force the package to be seen as newer than any
           previous versions with a lower epoch, even if the version
           number would normally not trigger such an upgrade. This value
           is required to be a positive integer; the default value if
           left unspecified is 0. This is useful when the version
           numbering scheme of a package changes (or is alphanumeric),
           breaking normal version comparison logic. See pacman(8) for
           more information on version comparisons.

And FWIW, also not related to the issue, but just in case the OP
shouldn't be aware of this, git packages might never provide updates
automatically.

Regards,
Ralf