[arch-general] SLiM DM

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Mon Jun 13 05:31:32 UTC 2016

On Mon, 13 Jun 2016 02:03:23 +0200, Maarten de Vries via arch-general
wrote:
>On 13 June 2016 at 01:31, Levente Polyak <anthraxx at archlinux.org>
>wrote:
>
>> On 06/13/2016 12:59 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
>> > [...] prevent whip-sawing all arch users who following the
>> > recommendation in configuring their desktop from finding out
>> > their
>> config is
>> > broken on the first reboot after update following removal.
>> >

>> ​<snip>
>>
>> I don't say there may be no problems, but bashing like that
>> statement is simply not fair and also not very helpful.
>>

>​I read his message as "we shouldn't remove it just like that because
>_that_ would break peoples system/config", and not as "SLiM is
>broken"​.

It's an abandoned project. It's inconsequent to switch to systemd and
to keep an abandoned project, that is not fully compatible with
systemd, while there are several display managers available by the
repositories. Even for a rolling release there might be reasons to
keep some abandoned projects, but SLiM login manager IMO shouldn't
belong to the official repositories. IMO it's neither highly
overdramatized, nor bashing, it's housekeeping. The official
repositories shouldn't suffer from compulsive hoarding.

Does SLiM provide something very useful, that isn't provided by
something else?