[arch-general] gnome-keyring madness

Kyle Terrien kyleterrien at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 01:07:06 UTC 2016

Seahorse 3.20.0-2 has a new hard dependency on gnome-keyring. Should
gnome-keyring instead be an optional dependency? Seahorse can cope
without gnome-keyring (although with warnings about not being able to
talk to gnome-keyring).

And for some reason, lightdm likes to launch gnome-keyring
automatically, and this breaks my setup because I use gpg-agent with
pinentry-gtk-2 to handle SSH keys. However gnome-keyring naively assumes
that it may (incorrectly) handle SSH keys. Is there any way to tell
lightdm not to launch gnome-keyring?

(And yes, the obvious answer is to uninstall gnome-keyring. However,
virt-manager has a hard dependency on seahorse.)

Update: it turns out that virt-manager has a dependency on
x11-ssh-askpass, which seahorse provides. My workaround for now is to
install x11-ssh-askpass and uninstall seahorse and gnome-keyring (even
though I will never use x11-ssh-askpass).

There is something wrong with this dependency chain. Will someone
smarter than me please look into it?

* Should gpg-agent and/or pinentry provide x11-ssh-askpass?
* Should gnome-keyring be an optional dep for seahorse, considering that
  seahorse copes without it although in a limited form?
* Should virt-manager have a hard dependency on x11-ssh-askpass?

--Kyle