[arch-general] Where did the touch pad tapping go?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Fri Jun 17 08:12:25 UTC 2016

Kyle Terrien via arch-general <arch-general at archlinux.org> writes:

> Javier Vasquez via arch-general wrote:
>> I think Xorg now uses libinput as default as opposed to prior
>> versions.  I have been using libinput any ways since it was made
>> available, so the transition didn't affect me, and besides I'm OK with
>> the tapping offered by libinput.  Actually I removed totally the
>> xf86-input-synaptics package from my Arch boxes already.  You can take
>> a look at the install message:
>>
>> https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/xf86-input-synaptics.install?h=packages/xf86-input-synaptics
>
> I saw that message while upgrading a couple of days ago.
>
>     xf86-input-synaptics driver is on maintenance mode and
>     xf86-input-libinput driver must be prefered over.
>
> But I didn't understand what "must be prefered over" means (grammar
> error).

I found this text on the Arch site:

    Xorg 1.18.0 is entering [testing] with the following changes:

      * You can now choose between xf86-input-evdev and
         xf86-input-libinput.
      * xf86-input-aiptek will not be updated and will be removed when
         xorg-1.18.0 is moved to [extra]

    Update: Nvidia drivers are now compatible with xorg-1.18.0 (ABI 20)

So I tried switching between input-evdev (what I used before) and
input-libinput, but no change. From others in the thread I gather that
removing input-synaptics and configuring libinput properly will fix it.
I'll have to wait with trying until I'm in front of my laptop this
evening.

It's not easy to cover all use cases when making switches like this, so
it's wonderful that the Arch users are as helpful as they are :)

/M

--
Magnus Therning              OpenPGP: 0x927912051716CE39
email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

Finagle's First Law:
To study a subject best, understand it thoroughly before you start.