[arch-general] Missing Dependency virtualbox-host-dkms

Sebastiaan Lokhorst sebastiaanlokhorst at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 23:52:53 UTC 2016

> Would it be possible to depend on a "Provides" that all the different
> kernel header packages share? Similar to how nvidia-libgl,
> catalyst-libgl, and mesa-libgl all provide the "libgl" dependency.
> That would solve the presumably-very-common case where users initially
> installed virtualbox without any host headers at all, and are now
> landing in a broken state by default. (Or would that mean that the
> different header packages conflict where they didn't before?)

Yes, I think that would be the best solution. Each '*-headers' package
could provide 'kernel-headers' (or something like that).
Provides does not imply conflict, so that wouldn't be a problem.

Note that a user could still install a certain 'x-headers' which does not
match their 'y' kernel, since the headers do not depend on the kernel or
vice versa. (in the libgl case this is not a problem, since the libgl
packages depend on the matching driver)

But I think most users who use the regular kernel and are not familiar with
other kernels would install the plain 'linux-headers' package when
prompted, and not the 'linux-lts-headers' package or something else.