[arch-general] mount shows hardcoded stripe=4 mount option for ext* /boot fs

Bastien Traverse neitsab at esrevart.net
Sun Mar 13 14:27:39 UTC 2016

I first stumbled upon this two years ago and opened a thread in the
forum to ask about it [1].

I never got an answer but lived happy and forgetful about it, until some
days ago another user PMed me to know if I had ever found out why mount
consistently showed `stripe=4` as a mount option for the `/boot`
partition, whether or not we leave it in /etc/fstab of use `defaults`.

This piqued my interest again, so I'm submitting it here in hope
somebody can enlighten us. Please see the original post for all the details.

I can confirm that to this day, `$ mount | grep stripe` still returns

/dev/mapper/boot-arch  on /  type ext4  (rw,stripe=4,data=ordered)

but `# journalctl -b | grep stripe` returns

kernel: EXT4-fs (dm-$): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts:
(null)

Cheers

[1] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=176092