[arch-general] What is the current wiki-poliicy for re-writing contributions?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Mon Mar 21 17:22:30 UTC 2016

Archdevs,

  What is the current policy for having wiki-contributions re-written? I have
been a wiki-contributor for years, I've more than 28 years Unix/Linux
experience, I am an attorney, a registered professional engineer, and I have
spent years doing technical writing for NASA MOD and Space Flight Operations --
I know technical writing. Over the past year or so it seems like every wiki
contribution made is re-written to the point that the immediacy of the needed
information is lost, is replaced by a link, or the contribution is reworded in a
bewildering manner.

  Under what criteria does this take place? It has gotten to the point where you
just get tired of helping -- why bother?

  Under the current system, the pages are slowly becoming less-useful rather
than more useful as more and more information is chopped out of pages or
replaced by links to 3rd-party pages that may (or may not) be there tomorrow.

  When I first began using Arch in '09, the pages were written such that you
could fully-complete whatever task the page addressed without bouncing around
from page-to-page hunting for all the pieces of the puzzle. That is no longer
the case.

  Don't get me wrong, the Arch-wiki pages are still by far the most useful of
any distribution, but understanding the criteria under which this is taking
place will help those willing to contribute determine whether to make a
contribution or not. The goal being to keep the Arch-wiki, the very best that it
can be. Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.