[arch-general] startx on arch vm running on ESXI (when accessed via ssh - do I need a DM?)

Dan Haworth dan at xigen.co.uk
Wed Mar 23 10:12:08 UTC 2016

On 19/03/16 01:50, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 03/18/2016 03:09 PM, Ben Oliver wrote:
>> I would personally set up VNC and tunnel it over ssh. Tried your approach
>> once and never had much joy.
>>
> Thanks Ben, all,
>
>    Now the synapses are starting to fire again. The frustrating thing is I used
> to do this without much of an issue when I would setup arch in virtualbox for
> building Trinity (before I found the archroot magic). I used 'rdesktop', e.g.:
>
>    rdesktop myhost.mydomain.com -u david -g 1280x800 -E -x l &
>
> (or '-x b' for broadband)
>
>    This allowed connection to either kdm or windows (with remote desktop
> connections enabled, and e.g. port 3389 forwarded to myhost).
>
>    Where I'm getting senile is I do not recall doing anything special to the
> display manager to allow connections with rdesktop. I do recall using
> tightvnc-server. So it looks like today for Arch that means TigerVNC:
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TigerVNC
>
>    This looks like what I needed. I'll let you know how it pans out. If there are
> any EXSI specific quirks, I'll note them in the wiki.

Having had a similar issue in the past, I just wanted to suggest an
alternative that I have working very well with our ESXi server here.
VMWare itself supports making the virtual machine console available over
VNC natively, albeit in a very non obvious way.

http://www.unixarena.com/2014/02/configuring-vmware-esxi-virtual-machine-console-vnc.html

Thought perhaps that might be a helpful tip!

Cheers,

--dan