[arch-general] x220 external mic

Carsten Mattner carstenmattner at gmail.com
Wed May 4 13:37:52 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 11:17 AM, Tomasz Kramkowski <tk at the-tk.com> wrote:

> I don't recall this being an issue, I don't have the splitter on me but I
> can try for you when I get home later today. In the meanwhile, have you
> considered that maybe your combo headset (or whatever it is that you're
> using) is incompatible? When I plug something into the headphone port the
> X220 automagically switches over the output to be headphone only (and vice
> versa). Could you check that when you plug in your headset that the built in
> microphone stops picking up sound?

It's a Sennheiser OCX 686i. I don't know if it's in any way incompatible, and
I cannot figure it out because I wasn't trained in EE and it's impossible
to search for this on the web. I've used it with a phone before and the mic
was working.

I've also disabled the internal microphone in the BIOS.

Right now I believe there's some software issue, and as I'm not using
a ready-made KDE or GNOME distro, I cannot tell what is going wrong.

None of the ALSA or PulseAudio controls seemed to make a difference.

Plus the naming scheme in PulseAudio is not helpful at all but I've noticed
that if I press the middle switch of the integrated 3-button controls,
the device switches back and forth between two devices in pavucontrol.