[arch-general] Almost system crash, users getting logged out

J. C. julien at mail.upb.de
Sat Nov 5 11:09:35 UTC 2016

Nov 5 2016, Jan Alexander Steffens via arch-general has written:
> Do you have any tmpfs mounted that's larger than half your RAM? Your system
> repeatedly ran out of memory, but I can't spot any directly responsible
> process, so my next thought is that the memory was consumed by files on one
> or more tmpfs mounts.
Hi Jan,
it seems that my /tmp folder is mounted as tmpfs with 1.7G and there's
another 1.7G mount on /dev/shm and 1.7G on /sys/fs/cgroup and a smaller
330M tmpfs on /run/user/1000 and one more for user 0.

That does seem a lot.

None of that is part of my /etc/fstab, so the next question would be:
how to change these mounts?

Besides, I can't understand which job could have used up so much memory,
I was asleep at the time and the regular cron job was finished at
4:01AM.

Would you have an idea for further investigations on the particulars?

Best wishes,

Jeanette

--------
When you need someone, you just turn around and I will be there <3