[arch-general] [OT] Favorite/best desktop in archlinux

Jonathan Horacio Villatoro Córdoba lacho8713 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 22:38:36 UTC 2016

On Mon, Nov 07, 2016 at 09:25:38AM +0000, Rijul Gulati via arch-general wrote:
> Its a matter of preference really. XFCE is lightweight. I myself use GNOME
> and XFCE (depends on my daily mood :P)
> If KDE is heavy for you, you could try XFCE.
>
> On Mon 7 Nov, 2016, 13:48 Ben Oliver via arch-general, <
> arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
>
> > I agree with all the above.
> >
> > XFCE is my go-to when I need a lightweight and reliable DE.
> >
> > Otherwise I'm strictly a WM guy - tried xmonad, liked it, but then
> > found out that i3 has the setup I was using as default, so I switched.
> > Plain text config files are also nice (although I imagine somewhat
> > limiting if you actually know Haskell).

I'm with theem on this one. It's definitely a matter of preference. You
should try them all; and see what you like from each DE/WM, what you
dislike, what you hate, what you can work around, etc. Then decide on
what you feel most comfortable using.

Personally, I've found my love in i3, though I sometimes switch to KDE
Plasma on my desktop and to MATE on my laptop (depending on the mood).

HTH,
--Jonathan