[arch-general] WLAN

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Nov 8 20:48:39 UTC 2016

On 11/08/2016 08:45 AM, Silvio Siefke wrote:
> It's funny what I read. I read I should take off, remove accu and
> electric line and then press on/off for 10 seconds. Plug all in and
> it should work.
>
> Crazy? But it work. Now goes Wlan again. Maybe it's I used wired and
> that's why not work?
>
> Silvio

Silvio,

  Using wired during setup makes no difference. After setup, you need to
know what type of encryption/authentication your wireless access point
uses and follow the appropriate part of the wireless setup wiki.

  Specifically, you need to first confirm your driver:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_network_configuration#Check_the_driver_status

  Then go through the manual setup, step-by-step. Note: on my laptop the
device name was 'wlo1' which is different from what you normally see. I
suspect your device will have a similar name.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_network_configuration#Manual_setup

  This will identify exactly what part of the configuration is giving
you problems.

  After you have it working manually, the simplest way to setup your
wifi (in my opinion) is using netctl.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_network_configuration#netctl

  For wpa_supplicant, (if using wpa psk encryption) simply set the
wpa_passphrase. To do so, save the original wpa_supplicant.conf (it is a
good reference for all configs) and re-create the file with
wpa_passphrase, e.g.

  # mv /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf.orig
  # wpa_passphrase "Your ESSID" "your_password" >>
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

  Then just add the needed general configuration to the top of the file
before the 'network { ... } block created by wpa_passphrase, e.g.:

update_config=1
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1

network={
        ... existing stuff from wpa_passphrase
}

  To finish your netctl setup, just create your setup-file in
/etc/netctl by copying your ESSID and Key to the appropriate fields. I
do it slightly different from the wiki. I don't like the multiple
includes of the various different configs, so I put it all on one file.
Copy the ESSID and Key information from your wpa_supplicant.conf e.g.

Interface=wlo1
Connection=wireless
Security=wpa
IP=dhcp
ESSID='Your_ESSID'
## Note: the '\' before the psk
Key='\your_psk'
Priority=10
Description='Whatever you want'
Security=wpa-config
WPAConfigFile='/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf'

  Adjust as needed for your hardware. Save your netctl interface config
in /etc/netctl under any 'config_name' you like, then start and enable
the netctl service for your config, e.g.

 # netctl start config_name
 # netctl enable config_name

  That is all that was required on my elitebook. Going though the manual
config steps will verify each step of the setup. Once you have it
working, creating the automatic start config is straight forward.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.