[arch-general] Please fastly update packages not using the generic readline *.so

Florian Pritz bluewind at xinu.at
Wed Nov 16 09:04:21 UTC 2016

On 14.11.2016 20:44, Sebastian Lau via arch-general wrote:
> nullptr ~ % cinnamon &
> [1] 1111
> cinnamon: error while loading shared libraries: libreadline.so.6: cannot
> [1]  + 1111 exit 127   cinnamon
> nullptr ~ % LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libreadline.so cinnamon &

Nope. Nope. Nope. Don't do that.

The entire point of the number that everyones likes to ignore is that if
the number changes the library is NOT (ABI) compatible.

If you force your program to use a different version it may work and
break *at the same time*, cause a butterfly to die, throw errors,
silently delete everything on your system, upload all your files to the
internet or eat your cat. NEVER run software with an incorrect library.

The only point of the unversioned symlink is to allow the linker to find
the version of the library it should link against. It is NOT some kind
of "generic" library.

If you really need the old library for some software, either install a
package that provides it or extract it from the old library package (not
tracked by the package manager so not advised).

If you see anyone else giving advice like this, please correct them. I'd
really like to never see this be done again.

temporary workaround. It's just wrong.

Florian