[arch-general] espeak ng and keeping packages in the aur uptodate.

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Thu Nov 17 16:10:28 UTC 2016

On Thu, 17 Nov 2016 10:18:27 -0500, Matthew dyer via arch-general wrote:
>I ran the talking arch script which Kial has been working and when
>doing so, I got the aur helper running.  The simple thing is this.  I
>want to switch to espeak NG and yes I am aware of espeakup git.  I
>know that I can install this.  I am going to assoom then that if
>espeak NG ias in the aur, I could just install it and all should be
>well.  I asked aabout keeping aur packages updated as it did not
>mention in the wiki how to do this with the asseption of any git
>packages which are cloned.  Hope this makes sence,.

A git package that doesn't provide a dedicated commit, but always gets
the latest commit from upstream, only will be upgraded, if the
maintainer needs to change e.g. build dependencies or configure
options. The version mentioned by AUR could be the same for years, but
if you rebuild the package, you would get another, newer version,
perhaps each minute.

  yaourt -Syua

doesn't inform you about new git commits. You either need to take a
look from time to time at the upstream page, to check if there are new
commits, or you need to monitor an announce list (they unlikely will
announce each commit, but at least milestones) or write a script that
checks upstream. It the software build from an AUR git PKGBUILD links
against shared libraries provided by official repositories and the
soname of a library changes, you need to care about this yourself and
rebuild the package against the new library version.

There might be tools available that monitor upstream for you and will
inform you, if a new commit is available, but there unlikely is a tool
available that will check, if a major version of a library changed.

Regards,
Ralf