[arch-general] Nvidia backlight control - acpi_video0/brightness changes - display doesn't?

Christian Klaue mail at ck76.de
Sat Nov 19 09:38:37 UTC 2016

Hi,

your xrandr --brightness solution only works on oled screens. Those
don't have a backlight. From a quick search it looks like you have a
LCD, right?

I am having exactly the same problem with my HP. I went as far as
decompiling the ACPI bios. When I tried to compile it again, it threw a
huge amount of errors. So I gave up. I didn't find any solution for my
problem. I even tried other distros. I am still kind of convinced the
error is in the ACPI module(s) of your UEFI. If you try to blame HP (as
many people on their forum did before) they will ask you to test on
Windows. Unfortunately there it works. The newest BIOS update doesn't
fix the problem for my toy.

I am lucky to have an OLED. Please keep me updated if you find a
solution.

regards,

Christian