[arch-general] snapcraft.io IMO gets across the message that snaps are appropriate for Arch Linux

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Thu Nov 24 11:18:37 UTC 2016

Hi,

after taking a brief look into building a yaml and following Ubuntu's
Snapcraft mailing list, I don't have a good opinion of it. It at
least is nothing I would recommend for usage with Arch Linux on i686
and x86_64 servers and desktop computers, not only because it requires
an Ubuntu kernel patch [1], but because it IMO is completely against
the rolling release approach and beyond that IMO broken in many ways.

The first sentence on http://snapcraft.io/ is

"Package any app for every Linux desktop, server, cloud or device, and
deliver updates directly"

and the first logo beside the Ubuntu logo is Arch Linux.

My opinion is, that it would be better, if the Arch Linux logo would be
removed from http://snapcraft.io/ , because I guess it gets across a
wrong message.

Regards,
Ralf

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Snapd#Installation

Disclaimer

I only want to inform about it, in case Arch Linux developers aren't
aware of it. I will not argue against, if Arch developers don't care
and/or disagree with my opinion. IOW I will not discuss it, the
intention is only to inform of it. ;)

--
Death of ROXTerm
https://sourceforge.net/p/roxterm/discussion/422638/thread/60da6975/