[arch-general] snapcraft.io IMO gets across the message that snaps are appropriate for Arch Linux

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Thu Nov 24 12:42:26 UTC 2016

On Thu, 24 Nov 2016 13:22:49 +0100, Jelle van der Waa wrote:
>On 11/24/16 at 12:18pm, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> My opinion is, that it would be better, if the Arch Linux logo would
>> be removed from http://snapcraft.io/ , because I guess it gets
>> across a wrong message.
>
>You are aware that we package snapd in [community]? [1]
>
>I'm not sure why ask for the logo to be removed from the website,
>technically we support the snapd package.
>
>[1] https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/snapd/

Yes, I've tested building a snap and also installed snapd. Developers
using Arch Linux could be interested to provide their software by snaps
and might want to have a complete environment. There's nothing wrong
with providing it, for those who have the opinion, that it is a good
approach. However, the message of Ubuntu's http://snapcraft.io/ is
ambiguous. To install software on Arch Linux installs, even AUR helpers
aren't official supported,
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_helpers , so I assume that
snaps are also not supported.

Again, if others don't share my opinion it's ok, no need to discuss it,
now I only try to clarify my point of view.

Regards,
Ralf