[arch-general] On containers. WAS: Re: snapcraft.io ...

pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) pelzflorian at pelzflorian.de
Fri Nov 25 18:01:05 UTC 2016

Containers are an attempt to solve multiple issues. One is being a
replacement for bundles. When people sell and distribute a proprietary
app/game, they presumably want it to run on as many systems as possible
with as little effort as possible. Having to rely on volunteer
maintainers is not good, neither is having to maintain a lot themselves.
Software bundles with all libraries included are the traditional
solution to this on all operating systems. Flatpak seems like an even
easier solution.

The real issue in this discussion is security. Traditional GNU/Linux is
too monolithic. Having more separation between an application and lower
system layers adds security just like not using root for running a Web
server and using separate user accounts for e.g. a Web server and an
XMPP server does. Well-behaved software uses the self sandboxing you are
talking about: dropping capabilities, revoking privileges. Two issues
remain:

Presumably most software (online games in particular) do not properly
self-sandbox and are not secured very well. It’s safest not to install
such software on your work PC but you may still wish to somewhat protect
your gaming PC. Despite not knowing the software that well, we can try
to constrain its privileges via containers/bubblewrap/firejail.

What’s still missing however is proper filesystem isolation. Not every
program needs to have access to any file in my home directory. More
separation here is good for security. I don’t want to create a new user
account for each app. I do want to use something like the new xdg
desktop portals. I also want to hide what other software I have
installed. I planned to do something with many small Arch Linux
filesystems with inheritance through hardlinks, but maybe embracing Guix
as an additional per-user package manager is a better approach?

The same missing separation may be a reason to use Mach/Hurd over Linux.
Of course that is still in its infancy.

Regards,
Florian Pelz