[arch-general] Installation: How to get HDD > LUKS > GPT working in a clean way

Jeremy Brown jeremy at brownjava.org
Sun Nov 27 21:13:34 UTC 2016

On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 09:43:57PM +0100, Merlin Büge wrote:
> > (2) The same thing you're trying to do but with LVM instead of a GPT table
>
> I don't need any LVM functionality and would consider it a little bit overkill
> for just dividing available space into two partitions.

I completely disagree.  As another poster said in their response, LVM is
really the canonical/supported/more flexible way to do this.  Even on
systems where I don't need encryption, I generally use LVM to divide up
the space instead of traditional partitions.

> > (3) a swap file on your Btrfs volume itself
>
> That's (currently) not possible, see the link you posted.

Gah.  Sorry.  You are correct.  Should have read my own link all the way
through before sharing it.  I usually use good ole ext4.

> By the way, please try to add line breaks at about 75 characters, see [0].
>
> [0] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Code_of_conduct#Mailing_lists

Ah, got it.  Haven't posted to this list much, but noted for this and
future posts :)

Cheers,

Jeremy