[arch-general] unreadable characters login screen after install

niya levi niyalevi at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 03:25:16 UTC 2016

> On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 10:36:10AM +0000, niya levi via arch-general wrote:
> >/> hi everyone />/> after an install following the wiki installation guide and rebooting />/> the login screen shows unreadable characters, />/> the char displays as rectangular and square blocks, />/> locale.conf is set to LANG=en_GB.UTF-8 />/> vconsole.conf is set to KEYMAP=uk />/> i also tried adding a FONT= line to vconsole.conf while chrooted the
> but />/> no joy after rebooting, />/> the installation screen was fine. />/> any ideas ? />//>/> ---- On Sat, 26 Nov 2016 17:08:06 +0100 Ralf Mardorf<silver.bullet
> settings might solve the issue. />/> />/> Oops, I was confusing keyboard with fonts. Not xorg.conf, but much
> likely the display manager configuration provides to chose a font. />/> />/> > />/> > Or tty? />/> > />/sorry i mean the login at the console, />//>/it a file server without xorg, display manger etc. />//>/shadrock /
> Did you customize /etc/locale.gen and ran locale-gen?
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Leonid Isaev

yes
in locale.gen i uncommented the following and ran locale-gen
en_US.UTF-8
en_GB.UTF-8

locale.conf has
lang=en_GB.UTF-8

vconsole.conf has
KEYMAP=uk

when booting it gets past the grub stage
it print booting linux
then loading ramdisk
then the whatever follows displays unreadable block character.
shadrock