[arch-general] unreadable characters login screen after install

Leonid Isaev leonid.isaev at jila.colorado.edu
Mon Nov 28 22:37:38 UTC 2016

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 07:55:53PM +0000, niya levi via arch-general wrote:
> my graphics card is a cirrus logic cl-gd5436 pci 1mb vga card
> it's loaded automatically,
> have tried adding nomodeset by
> pressing e at the boot screen with brings me to grub startup file
> i added nomodeset to the end of the 'linux     /boot/vmlinux' line
> but no change.
> i got further by  pressing e at boot and changing the
> GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX to GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text
> and the console screen displayed correctly,
> to make it permenant i edited /etc/default/grub and also changed the
> GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX line there
> but upon reboot i was back to the previous block characters.
> so i can get a correct display if i press e and edit from there on each
> bootup,
> is there another entry i should have comment , uncommented or added in
> /etc/default/grub to make it permenant ?

Do I correctly understand that you don't run X11? If you do, it always showed
fonts correctly, yes?

I always used syslinux, but there is grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub.cfg (that's all I know about grub2)...

It seems that you have an issue with a console font: it is improperly displayed
with your graphics card. You can try changing it though, as an alternative to
cusomising grub.cfg

Cheers,
--
Leonid Isaev
GPG fingerprints: DA92 034D B4A8 EC51 7EA6  20DF 9291 EE8A 043C B8C4