[arch-general] What happened to the Beginner's Guide?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sun Oct 2 14:51:18 UTC 2016

On 09/22/2016 10:31 AM, Maxwell Anselm via arch-general wrote:
> Another reason for the merge is to solve a perception problem. The
> Beginner's Guide was one of the only wiki articles that consolidated all of
> its information in one place, rather than organizing things into separate
> articles and references to official documentation. This gave new users the
> impression that the Arch Wiki is a place for all-in-one hand-holding
> tutorials. Then they finish installing their system and are shocked and
> appalled at how "sadistic" and "inaccessible" the rest of the wiki is.
>
> The installation guide isn't a ritualistic hazing, it's a "you must be this
> tall to ride" sign.
>
> Max

Max,

  I've been here since '09, and I've never seen a complaint such as you
describe. The reality is the Beginner's Guide was a very thorough and helpful
collection of information for new users that was made more necessary by the
removal of the arch installer several years back. The maintenance requirements
were no greater or less than any of the constituent pages. changing "isn't" to
"is" and "it's" to "it is not" in your final sentence, respectfully, is probably
closer to the truth of the matter.

(as an attorney, my job is to recognize arguments that don't add up)

  Regardless of what the true motivations for the current Arch devs are in
removing the Beginner's Guide, I would recommend it be restored (even in the
verbatim state it was in when it was deleted would be fine). The Beginner's
Guide provided a valuable resource to arch users. I wonder how Allan would view
the matter.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.