[arch-general] What happened to the Beginner's Guide?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 15:39:15 UTC 2016

On 10/02/2016 10:51 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> I've been here since '09, and I've never seen a complaint such as you
> describe. The reality is the Beginner's Guide was a very thorough and helpful
> collection of information for new users that was made more necessary by the
> removal of the arch installer several years back. The maintenance requirements
> were no greater or less than any of the constituent pages. changing "isn't" to
> "is" and "it's" to "it is not" in your final sentence, respectfully, is probably
> closer to the truth of the matter.

Everyone who frequents the forums has certainly seen the numerous users
who *somehow* installed Arch without really having a clue what they
actually did. Some of them even followed the Beginner's Guide as opposed
to thirdparty installers.

> (as an attorney, my job is to recognize arguments that don't add up)
>
> Regardless of what the true motivations for the current Arch devs are in
> removing the Beginner's Guide, I would recommend it be restored (even in the
> verbatim state it was in when it was deleted would be fine). The Beginner's
> Guide provided a valuable resource to arch users. I wonder how Allan would view
> the matter.

Why would you think he might disagree with the *consensus* of the Arch devs?

Has he indicated in some manner that he voted against it? Or do you just
want to think someone agrees with you?

(He certainly expressed disgust with an offshoot of this original
conversation, on general principle...)

What do you mean "true motivations" (scare quotes deliberate)? I think
they were already quite clear in their *stated* motivations.

But regardless -- without taking into consideration their clearly-stated
public motives -- it seems to me, although granted I am no attorney
whose "job is to recognize arguments that don't add up" (all hail your
exalted state)... that it is self evident that to restore the Beginner's
Guide in any form would defeat the purpose of, well, *removing* it!

Thank you for performing necromancy on this email thread. I am sure the
quality of Arch Linux is going to be dramatically improved as a result...

--
Eli Schwartz