[arch-general] Full system backup with rsync

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Mon Oct 17 19:11:23 UTC 2016

On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 19:29:13 +0100, niya levi via arch-general wrote:
>hi everyone
>
>i am trying to replace my laptop drive with another,
>
>to clone the laptop drive to a second drive i followed 'Full system
>backup with rsync' from the wiki
>
>1 create a partition table and filesystem on the second drive
>
>2 mount the drive to /mnt
>
>3 rsync -aAXv
>--exclude={"/dev/*","/proc/*","/sys/*","/tmp/*","/run/*","/mnt/*","/media/*","/lost+found"}
>/ /mnt

I would simply sudo cp -r everything.

>before i swap the drive in the laptop with the second drive
>
>do i chroot and run the following commands to configure the bootloader
>and do i need to do this from installation cd ?
>
># grub-install --target=i386-pc /dev/sdx
># grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

you could simply

sudo systemd-nspawn -bqD /mnt/

from the existing install and run the commands required for your
bootloader of choice, assuming this grub auto thingy does generate UUID
based entries and your fstab (if you still should use fstab at all) does
contain those, too, since sdx would change from x=b to x=a, if you
remove the old drive.

Regards,
Ralf

--