[arch-general] Full system backup with rsync

niya levi niyalevi at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 11:52:08 UTC 2016

> Today's Topics:
>    1. Full system backup with rsync (niya levi)
>    2. Re: Full system backup with rsync (Ralf Mardorf)
>    3. Re: Full system backup with rsync (Ralf Mardorf)
>    4. Re: Full system backup with rsync (Ralf Mardorf)
>    5. Re: Full system backup with rsync (Ralf Mardorf)
>    6. Re: Full system backup with rsync (Merlin B?ge)
>    7. Re: Full system backup with rsync (Merlin B?ge)
>    8. Re: Full system backup with rsync (Merlin B?ge)
>    9. Re: Full system backup with rsync (Ralf Mardorf)

> Message: 1
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 21:11:23 +0200
> From: Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com>
> To: arch-general at archlinux.org
> Subject: Re: [arch-general] Full system backup with rsync
>

> # grub-install --target=i386-pc /dev/sdx
> # grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
> you could simply
>
> sudo systemd-nspawn -bqD /mnt/
>
> from the existing install and run the commands required for your
> bootloader of choice, assuming this grub auto thingy does generate UUID
> based entries and your fstab (if you still should use fstab at all) does
> contain those, too, since sdx would change from x=b to x=a, if you
> remove the old drive.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf
>

> -- Death of ROXTerm
> https://sourceforge.net/p/roxterm/discussion/422638/thread/60da6975/
> ------------------------------ Message: 3 Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016
> 21:18:37 +0200 From: Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> To:
> arch-general at archlinux.org Subject: Re: [arch-general] Full system
> backup with rsync Message-ID: <20161017211837.565c38ca at utnubu>
> 21:11:23 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> you could simply
>>
>> sudo systemd-nspawn -bqD /mnt/
>>
> >from the existing install and run the commands required for your
>> bootloader of choice, assuming this grub auto thingy does generate UUID
>> based entries and your fstab (if you still should use fstab at all)
>> does contain those, too, since sdx would change from x=b to x=a, if you
>> remove the old drive.
> PPS:
>
> Oops again,
>
> this would add entries for the new and old drive's , so after
> removing the old drive, you need to run the grub auto-thingy again, to
> get rid of the entries related to the old drive.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 21:28:17 +0200
> From: Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com>
> To: Arch general <arch-general at archlinux.org>
> Subject: Re: [arch-general] Full system backup with rsync
>
> On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 21:11:23 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> you could simply
>>
>> sudo systemd-nspawn -bqD /mnt/
>>
> >from the existing install and run the commands required for your
>> bootloader of choice, assuming this grub auto thingy does generate UUID
> [...]
hi everyone
thanks  Ralf and Merlin for the pointers
i found the backing-up-unix article very informative.
the method i choose was with a live disk and arch-chroot,
i need to read up on systemd-nspawn more before i use it.
the laptop booted up with the swapped drive without any problems apart from
a few warnings that some file times was in the future.
thanks again
shadrock