[arch-general] Implement sql/sqlite database for pacman local database

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 19:48:56 UTC 2016

On 10/21/2016 01:20 PM, Alive 4ever wrote:
> I was curious why does 'pacman -Q' operations took longer than 'apt'
> counterparts.  It seems that the local pacman databases are just
> subdirectories with text files (desc, files) and gzipped text (mtree).
> No wonder why local pacman databases tend to slow down over time and
> need to be optimized periodically.
>
> For long term pacman development road map, it would be better to use
> single sql based database for tracking locally installed packages
> instead of keeping directories of every installed packages.
>
> This would provide faster access for local database as sql databases are
> optimized for fast access.

The reason pacman uses a flat file database as opposed to a relational
database, is the result of a deliberate design decision by the lead
pacman developers.

Therefore, I really really really doubt you will be able to convince
them to change -- they already know all the arguments about speed, and
declared that they preferentially value the current lack of complexity.

--
Eli Schwartz