[arch-general] Implement sql/sqlite database for pacman local database

Guus Snijders gsnijders at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 08:30:48 UTC 2016

Op 21 okt. 2016 21:49 schreef "Eli Schwartz via arch-general" <
arch-general at archlinux.org>:

> On 10/21/2016 01:20 PM, Alive 4ever wrote:
> [...] road map, it would be better to use
> > single sql based database for tracking locally installed packages
>
> The reason pacman uses a flat file database as opposed to a relational
> database, is the result of a deliberate design decision by the lead
> pacman developers.

One really big advantage of this approach is that you don't have to worry
about corrupted databases. It's been a while since I used an RPM based
distro, but it always surprised me how quickly the db would fall over and
needed to be rebuilt.
The beauty of the Arch approach is it's robust simplicity. And yes, there
are/were wrappers that use a SQL DB for specific operations. If such a db
gets problems, there is nothing to worry about: pacman just keeps working
anyway.

Just my two (belated) $0.02

Mvg, Guus