[arch-general] cp from USB to interal sata uses up all CPU

J. C. julien at mail.upb.de
Mon Oct 24 11:02:55 UTC 2016

After further experimentation it appears that the internal disk is the
culprit.
It is an ext3 partition mounted with the options:
defaults,noatime
The partition in question is not on the disk of the root partition. Any
suggestions are welcome.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

Oct 24 2016, J. C. has written:

> Hi list,
> I just noticed this today. I rebooted the system once, since the proper
> installation last week. Now cp from a USB drive to the internal sata drive
> eats up all CPU. The cp command is run as root - currently no alternative
> possible.
>
> The USB drive is mounted during system startup.
>
> A copy operation on the internal disk in question doesn't suffer from overuse
> of CPU resources. Copying from the USB disk to the USB disk isn't perfect,
> but uses only between 20-40% of CPU resources. The CPU frequency governor is
> set to ondemand.
>
> Can anybody suggest a remedy, please?
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jeanette
>
> --------
> When you need someone, you just turn around and I will be there <3

--------
When you need someone, you just turn around and I will be there <3