[arch-general] Problem with powerdns-recursor-4.0.3-1 package

Roel de Wildt 1976roel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 16:58:53 UTC 2016

Op 24-10-2016 om 04:16 schreef Nataraj via arch-general:
> On 10/23/2016 03:33 PM, Nataraj via arch-general wrote:
>> Setting trace=on  will show you details of the lookups and responses.  I
>> am having a problem with 4.0.3-1, but it is not the same as yours.  The
>> recursor answers all queries correctly, however, if I try to restart or
>> stop and start the recursor from systemctl, systemctl hangs and then
>> eventually (maybe a minute or so) I get the following error.  Note the
>> recursor actually starts and works fine, but systemd seems to think
>> there is a problem
>> Job for pdns-recursor.service failed because a timeout was exceeded.
>>
>> See "systemctl status pdns-recursor.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
>>
>> journalctl shows no unusual errors in the log file, other than the
>> normal startup messages output by pdns-recursor.
>>
>> systemctl then shows the process to still be in the start state.
>>
>>     systemctl status pdns-recursor.service
>> * pdns-recursor.service - PowerDNS Recursor
>>     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/pdns-recursor.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
>>     Active: activating (start) since Sun 2016-10-23 15:22:04 MST; 29s ago
>>       Docs: man:pdns_recursor(1)
>>             man:rec_control(1)
>>             https://doc.powerdns.com
>>   Main PID: 2165 (pdns_recursor)
>>     Memory: 4.4M
>>        CPU: 137ms
>>     CGroup: /system.slice/pdns-recursor.service
>>             `-2165 /usr/bin/pdns_recursor --daemon=no --write-pid=no --disable-syslog
>>

>> I am running archlinux arm on a version 7 freescale (cubox I4), so I
>> haven't ruled out that this could be an architecture specific problem.
> I have found that the issue that I previously reported with systemctl
> hanging when starting pdns-recursor is due to my pdns_recursor
> configuration having a chroot in it and it looks like I have to modify
> the setup for chroot to work under system (though I didn't have any
> problems with the previous version of pdns_recursor).
>
> Nataraj

Does it work if you comment out the chroot option in the configuration
of pdns_recursor? Just to rule out other possible configuration issues.

It looks like that systemd is not detecting your pdns_recursor process.
I don't know yet how to fix this but in the 'journalctl -r' will
properly shows a hint where to look further.

Roel de Wildt