[arch-general] Single Drive Fresh Install (mbr/grub2) Fails to boot (can boot existing from .iso??)

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sun Oct 30 06:34:02 UTC 2016

On 10/29/2016 06:30 AM, Patrick Burroughs (Celti) wrote:
> I suggest you double-check the partitioning and possible presence of
> an EFI system partition on that Windows drive from within your Arch
> install. If both msinfo and the partitioning confirm it's not UEFI,
> then I suggest you a) make sure the firmware is up-to-date, and b)
> comb through the firmware settings and make sure that it's fully in
> Legacy/BIOS mode and not Hybrid UEFI/BIOS mode; the latter is the
> cause of most such problems, in my experience.

Celti, Ralf,

  Thank you. I cannot stand the limited bios that HP uses, it is an early
attempt at a graphical bios that is slow as Christmas to navigate. I've been
through every setting in the bios and there isn't any other setting that would
explain the issue. (I have confirmed the bios is the latest 2015 release by HP)

  It appears both the bcdedit /enum and msinfo32 tests confirm it is using
Legacy boot. Checking msinfo32 reports

     BIOS Mode     Legacy

  So I guess that leaves me with Ralfs solution of find the "Clear the CMOS"
jumper, clear the bios, replace the battery (I hope it is a standard 2032 or its
a trip to the battery store...)

  I've never had another bios, in the probable 30 boxes I've had since '89 that
wouldn't just find the drive. Even the old RLL/MFM drives would come right up.
God, I hope this isn't a new problem generic with swapping SSD/Platter drives...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.