[arch-general] ensuring integrity of sources (was: [arch-dev-public] todo list for moving http -> https sources)

Leonid Isaev leonid.isaev at jila.colorado.edu
Mon Oct 31 21:50:34 UTC 2016

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 06:04:48PM +0100, Levente Polyak wrote:
> I get your point what you try to achieve but the PKGBUILD already
> contains the integrity values (checksums) for all external sources and
> if you sign the PKGBUILD (which is the build script) then you have
> implicitly authenticated all integrity values of the external sources.
>
> A signature is nothing more (but also nothing less) then an
> authenticated checksum. If you sign a tarball then you "only" sign its hash.
>
> On top (like a bonus :P) if you sign the PKGBUILD then you did not only
> authenticate the checksums of the external sources but also the
> buildscript itself. So you really want so sign that instead ;)

As a side question... is there a significant difference in signing PKGBUILD vs
the compiled package. Given that when building a pkg, I inspect the PKGBUILD,
what attack is possible when the PKGBUILD is not signed?

Also, isn't the use of dev signature to validate upstream sources is a logical
flaw? A dev might herself be mislead and build a trojaned source...

Thx,
L.

--
Leonid Isaev
GPG fingerprints: DA92 034D B4A8 EC51 7EA6  20DF 9291 EE8A 043C B8C4