[arch-general] bitcoin-qt out-of-date

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 19:00:24 UTC 2016

On 09/01/2016 02:20 PM, Diego Viola wrote:
> Well, I understand maintainers are busy, but it is your job as a
> maintainer to communicate effectively, if I put some package up for
> others to use it, it is MY responsibility to tell users I won't be
> able to update or respond quickly.
>
> You can't expect all your users to maintain their own PKGBUILD for
> outdated packages just because some maintainer is busy or being lazy.

As an AUR maintainer, I try to update as soon as I can. And I think I do
a pretty good job with that.

But not everyone can, because not everyone has the time. And 10 days is
not a lot of time to allow for Real Life interference.

Standard Arch Linux policy is "don't bug the TUs, they will get around
to updating things when they have the chance".

More TUs is the only conceivable solution to the problem of "the current
group of TUs don't, as a group, have the spare time to update all
packages, immediately upon being flagged out of date".
So, what exactly is your problem with the TUs having a life out of Arch
Linux (which they have no obligation to and contribute to on a purely
voluntary basis)?

Personally, I think as a general rule of thumb the TUs do a great job at
maintaining a distro that is significantly less obsolete than the
majority of other distros. And I don't get upset when a relative handful
of packages lag behind *less than on the aforementioned alternative
distros*.

--
Eli Schwartz