[arch-general] Package versioning

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Fri Sep 2 09:03:50 UTC 2016

Doug Newgard <scimmia at archlinux.info> writes:

> On Thu, 01 Sep 2016 23:57:07 +0200
> Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
>
>> When packaging Haskell packages there's a bit of a twist to the version
>> numbers that I'm looking for a solution to.
>>
>> Upstream versions have two numbers, a version number (set by the
>> upstream developer) and an "xrev" that's bumped when minor changes are
>> made to packages on Hackage (Haskell's CPAN/PyPi/RubyGems/...).
>>
>> Then the packaging has a release.
>>
>> So far I've been using versions of the form

>> But that isn't good enough, `pacman` has for instance reported that's
>>
>> ~~~
>> warning: haskell-vector-algorithms: local (0.7_1-2) is newer than haskell-core (0.7.0.1_0-1)
>> warning: haskell-monadrandom: local (0.4_2-1) is newer than haskell-core (0.4.1_0-1)
>> ~~~
>>
>> which isn't correct since
>>
>>    0.7 < 0.7.0.1
>>    0.4 < 0.4.1
>>
>> It seems `pacman` treats underbar like a period, which isn't at all what
>> I was hoping for.
>>
>> I'm hoping for some help to find something better. Any suggestions on
>> how I should do this properly?
>>
>> /M
>>

> Sounds like <version>.x<xrev> would make more sense.

Yes, it looks like it would work better. Is there some description of
what the presence of a letter actually means?

/M

--
Magnus Therning              OpenPGP: 0x927912051716CE39
email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

If our ideas of intellectual property are wrong, we must change them,
improve them and return them to their original purpose. When
intellectual property rules diminish the supply of new ideas, they
steal from all of us.
     — Andrew Brown, November 19, 2005, The Guardian