[arch-general] sddm autologin doesn't immediately after boot - but systemctl restart sddm solves the problem. Timing issue - missing systemd service dependencies?

Damian Nowak enwukaer at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 17:14:25 UTC 2016

Howdy!

My sddm doesn't automatically log me in for a week now. It errors out with:

> Could not start D-Bus. Can you call qdbus instead?

Picture of the error here:
https://x.virtkick.com/51c5d57e633799d45cf438026b4493ec87b1d19d/sddm-autologin-error.png

All I need to do after getting this error is switch to tty and call
`systemctl restart sddm`.

It feels like a timing issue - D-Bus not coming up on time. Does sddm
systemd service correctly depend on everything it needs to
successfully login? Currently:

> After=systemd-user-sessions.service getty at tty1.service plymouth-quit.service

I tried adding After=dbus.service and Depends=dbus.service but it didn't help.

1. Can anyone check if it's reproducible on their side?
2. Any ideas how to improve the service unit file to depend on the
appropriate things?

[Autologin]
Relogin=false
Session=plasma.desktop