[arch-general] sddm autologin doesn't immediately after boot - but systemctl restart sddm solves the problem. Timing issue - missing systemd service dependencies?

Damian Nowak enwukaer at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 03:23:54 UTC 2016

Howdy,

Thanks for your input.

> I am not completely sure, but I know that sddm uses logind for session
> management, may be you can check making systemd-logind the dependency?

I tried systemd-logind - no change in behavior.

> you could try nodm (in [community]),

Wow, great idea. I'll sure use it. However, now I'm trying to find the
root cause of the problem with sddm, I'd rather report the real
problem to Arch/upstream (depending on who's to blame) and have it
fixed for everyone.

> I had to change/set my sddm theme to Breeze... maybe this will work for you
> too.

Changing the theme doesn't change anything. Are you really sure about
this changing *anything*? Do you have *the same* problem as I do with
other themes? To recap, my problem is the autologin will fail with a
weird D-Bus message on *initial* boot. Any subsequent systemctl
restart sddm will start my session.

I've just found that my ~/.xinitrc has this:

nowaker at nwkr-desktop ~ % cat .xinitrc
exec dbus-launch --exit-with-session startkde

Just to make sure my xinitrc doesn't cause anything wrong I deleted
it. But doing this made things even worse - without a ~/.xinitrc or
with "startkde" only, my Plasma didn't start at all. Same problem with
nodm. (It's also worth noting nodm requires chmod +x ~/.xinitrc but I
figured it out.)

However, slim from [extra] works for me just fine when "exec startkde"
is in my ~/.xinitrc. (It won't start with "exec dbus-launch ..." -
empty desktop, or without an xinitrc - error message about not being
able to execute login command).

It sounds really weird only one DM works for me. I'm almost sure it's
not how it works on a freshly installed Arch. Any suggestions what
makes my setup so broken?

Thank y'all,
-Damian Nowak