[arch-general] i3wm (randomly?) freezes; SIGCONT seems to fix it

Bennett Piater bennett at piater.name
Fri Sep 9 14:11:48 UTC 2016

Hi all,
I've had a very elusive and frustrating problem this week and don't know
where to look anymore.
Maybe one of you has an idea? :)

Since 2016-09-04, i3wm freezes every once and a while; often after
waking the screen (even if it wasn't locked), a few times also directly
or a few minutes after logging in.
I have not yet found a conclusive pattern.

The freeze is complete; no reaction to mouse or keyboard activity, not
even in the debug logs. However, I can interact with the focused window
just fine (I obviously cannot change focus).
i3 also doesn't react to IPC calls (tried with i3-msg).

Up to now, I had sent SIGTERM to important programs that had been
running and KILLed i3 (it doesn't react to SIGTERM, either).
Today, in my frustration, I tried sending SIGCONT instead.
To my surprise, i3 immediately sprung back to life.

What I do not understand is that i3 hasn't been updated in a while, let
alone since Sunday.
FWIW, I am running the fork i3-gaps instead of i3, but that is very
close to upstream and has been stable forever.

I posted /var/log/pacman.log from the day when it started on my server [0].

Does anyone have any clue what could be causing this?

Thanks,
Bennett

[0]: https://vps1.piater.name/commie/#dvm1K6lg

--
GPG fingerprint: 871F 1047 7DB3 DDED 5FC4 47B2 26C7 E577 EF96 7808