[arch-general] Not being able to upgrade system because of catalyst-hook

Foxtrot Mike fulcrummike at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 14 12:41:16 UTC 2016

[SOLVED]

Thanks for your help. FINALLY, I got catalyst working. I took many hours
though. Here is what I tried (giving as much detail as possible to help
others):

> What about version 15.9-12? It adds a patch to make it compatible with
> Linux 4.7
>
> [1]
> https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/commit/?h=catalyst-hook&id=1ed0d7e92f486d3b1bae49b9c43b34b29585d1c0

1- I tried this patch. Didn't make a difference. Still catalyst-hook was
causing dependencies issue with linux4.7.

> You should update the catalyst-hook package manually. The latest version
> supports Linux 4.7.
>
> Regards,
> Sebastiaan

2- Removed all the catalyst packages. 'radeon' was blacklisted to fell
back to console. Upgraded the system, and reinstalled catalyst packages.
Tried Xorg 1.17 and 1.18. Result: Xorg won't start. Gave some errors.
Googled those errors (Can't remember the error now). Tried a few things
suggested on forums. Still no luck.

3- Tried 'amdgpu' package. After installing everything and setting up,
found out that amdgpu doesn't support my card (R7 260x). I needed to
rebuild kernel to enable support for my card. Settled on 'radeon' instead.

'radeon' didn't let me check my fan speed and temps so I kept looking
around.

On 09/14/2016 06:44 AM, Mrrob wrote:

> I think the OP implied they are using the catalyst & xorg117 repos. This
> comment on the catalyst-hook AUR package indicates the repo has changed
> and updating your pacman.conf to reflect this new location may help:
>
>     Vi0L0 commented on 2016-08-20 23:51
>
>     Atm I'm unable to update wirephire mirror. Don't know when I will
> get access back.
>     Please use hactar mirror:
>     [catalyst]
>     Server = http://mirror.hactar.bz/Vi0L0/catalyst/$arch
>

> mrrob
> ---

4- Not sure, but I think that updating the catalyst repo link in my
pacman.conf did the trick. Removed 'amdgpu', blacklisted 'radeon', and
then installed catalyst-hook and catalyst-utils packages (15.12.3, i
guess). Again added 'nomodeset' to kernel parameters and generated
grub.cfg. And after almost 5 hours of cursing linux, I finally got my
GUI back.

Thanks guys for your help!