[arch-general] Screen lock stopped working

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Mon Sep 19 15:54:07 UTC 2016

On 09/16/2016 12:14 PM, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> I've noticed that my screen lock / screensaver has stopped engaging as
> of a couple of days ago.  I check the settings (which I haven't changed
> recently), but they seem to be set correctly.
>
> Anyone have an idea what package upgrade might have caused this and/or
> which bugs I should watch for a resolution?
>
> I'm running XFCE desktop btw.
>
> Thanks,
>
> DR

I've discovered something else odd going on that seems to be related to
this issue.

If I activate the screen lock by hand, and the screensaver starts
running, I noticed that within say 30 seconds the screensaver pauses and
displays the login box - as if someone pressed a key on the keyboard or
moved the mouse.  This would explain why the screensaver never engages -
it keeps getting keyboard or mouse input (or at least thinks it is) that
prevents it.

But that makes the problem even more puzzling, as my hands are not on
the keyboard or mouse.  My next guess was that perhaps there's a broken
key on the keyboard that keeps pressing.  But I used xev, and it shows
no keyboard or mouse events while my hands are off.

Is anyone else seeing similar behavior?  If not, I guess I'll have to
assume this is a hardware problem.  But if so, I'd appreciate any
suggestion on how I might go about debugging.

Thanks,

DR