[arch-general] Supermicro cd/dvd inst error: ARCH_201603 device did not show up after 30 seconds

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Sep 21 05:06:54 UTC 2016

On 09/20/2016 10:30 PM, Dave via arch-general wrote:
> Did you check this?
>
> Installation problems: I/O erro: dev sr0 / Installation / Arch Linux Forums

Thank you for the link,

  There is much discussion but little solution there. This seems like a bug that
has plagued whoever it should go to for quite some time. I don't think this is a
dao/tao issue. I get the same error with ARCH_201603 (which I've installed Arch
from several times w/o issue) and ARCH 201609 and openSuSE 13.1. All cd's were
md5/shasum verified (before and after burning), all burning was done from the
command line per
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Optical_disc_drive#Burning_an_ISO_image_to_CD.2C_DVD.2C_or_BD
(the ARCH_201609 was to DVD since it finally exceeded the overburn of my discs).

  So the forum thread discusses in 43 posts at least a dozen theories as to why
this continues to reoccur, but it doesn't seem that anybody actually has a
handle as to the exact cause. Me, I've probably installed arch 30 times over the
past 7 years and I've never seen this before. The post
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1608432#p1608432 probably captures
the current thinking/experimentation as it stands now. I'll try and experiment
with a couple of additional ATA and SATA based cd/dvd drives and if I find
anything new I'll add this to the forum thread.

  If anyone has any additional thoughts on this, I (and apparently many others)
would appreciate your thoughts. I can't believe my search didn't turn up that
formum thread, (StartPage is usually dead on). However, I was surprised at the
litany of different times and situations this has apparently occurred over the
past year or so. Glad to know there is still a little mystery left in computing :)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.