[arch-general] Error when starting Opera

Lukas Rose lists at lrose.de
Wed Sep 21 08:30:48 UTC 2016

> On 21 Sep 2016, at 04:29, Francis Gerund via arch-general <arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
>
> "Enter password to unlock you login keyring
>
> The password you use to log in to your computer no
> longer matches that of your login keyring."

If it asks for the password of the login key ring, it'so probably trying to store some confidential information (certificates, passwords, …) in there. The keyring is a secure place for Applications to save such data. On creation of the user account, the login key ring gets encrypted with the initial password the user used. As soon as you change that password, the password of the login keyring and the user account password don't match anymore, so your login keychain can't be decrypted upon login. Users usually don't notice this, until an application tries to use the login keychain. Then that popup message prompting for a password appears.

You can try unlocking your login keychain with the password you first used for your user account (if you can remember). If you can't, you should use your keyring utility (possibly gnome-keyring) to delete your old and create a new keyring, using the same password you're currently using as your user account password.

But that's why changing user account password doesn't fix it, as well as why the privileged password request still works (that's your user password, the login keychain is not). And I doubt that this is a configuration issue of Opera, unless you can disable its use of the keyring.