[arch-general] What happened to the Beginner's Guide?

Oon-Ee Ng ngoonee.talk at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 02:53:49 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 10:46 AM, Francis Gerund via arch-general
<arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Where have the the most recent versions of the "real" Beginner's Guide been
> saved?  And how can they be retrieved (maybe using git, for example)?

That would not be useful because wiki instructions go out of date over time.

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 10:36 AM, Doug Newgard <scimmia at archlinux.info> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 21:01:55 -0400
> Dave via arch-general <arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 8:58 PM, Jason Ryan via arch-general <
>> arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> > This will only alienate new users that are unwilling to read man pages and
>> > the
>> > community provided documentation, ie., people for whom Arch is the wrong
>> > choice
>> > anyway…
>>

>> As a new user of Arch, I think this attitude is incorrect as well as
>> harmful to Arch.
>
> I think putting a list of commands in the wiki is much, much more harmful to
> Arch. Arch is a niche distro, not meant to be something grandma installs
> because someone told her it was the thing to do.

While I agree that Arch is not for everyone, comparing users for whom
details on their operating system are not clear/important to 'grandma'
is unnecessary and probably discriminatory (what do you have against
grandma?)

Jason Wryan is correct, Arch is targetted at a particular type of
user. No need to belittle those who don't fall into that type.