[arch-general] What happened to the Beginner's Guide?

Maxwell Anselm silverhammermba at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 15:31:58 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 7:12 AM, mike lojkovic via arch-general <
arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:

> I'm in favor of the merge as well. For beginners there are plenty of
> Youtube videos that cover common desktop setups. That should be more than
> enough for users who are first learning how to setup a Linux distro.

Another reason for the merge is to solve a perception problem. The
Beginner's Guide was one of the only wiki articles that consolidated all of
its information in one place, rather than organizing things into separate
articles and references to official documentation. This gave new users the
impression that the Arch Wiki is a place for all-in-one hand-holding
tutorials. Then they finish installing their system and are shocked and
appalled at how "sadistic" and "inaccessible" the rest of the wiki is.

The installation guide isn't a ritualistic hazing, it's a "you must be this
tall to ride" sign.

Max