[arch-general] Arch GNU/Linux install for beginners and new users

Sean Greenslade sean at seangreenslade.com
Thu Sep 22 17:07:16 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 09:26:35AM -0700, Zachary Kline wrote:

> > On Sep 22, 2016, at 9:21 AM, Mauro Santos via arch-general <arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
> >
> > Third party installers are not supported in any shape or form. Threads
> > asking for support about derivative distros or third party installers on
> > the forums will be closed and binned on sight.
> >

> How does one define “third-party installer?” By my reading, the
> TalkingArch project, which makes the installation process accessible
> to the visually impaired, could qualify, as it isn’t released by the
> official Arch maintainers. This would be deeply upsetting to me, as I
> am only able to use Arch at all thanks to this project.

The point is that the official Arch Linux support channels (forums,
mailing lists, etc.) are only for official Arch projects. Any derivative
projects, be they custom installers, distro derivatives, or anything
else, need to run their own support channels.

If you have an issue with Talking Arch, bring it up with the Talking
Arch project maintainers. If they find your problem is actually with
something in Arch itself, then it would be approproate to raise the
issue on the official Arch support channels.

--Sean