[arch-general] Arch GNU/Linux install for beginners and new users

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Thu Sep 22 23:20:29 UTC 2016

Am 22.09.2016 um 19:54 schrieb Francis Gerund via arch-general:
> Chris,
> Thank you for your interest.  Perhaps you may find this helpful:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.en.html

No, we don't find this helpful at all.

The FSF has no right to forcefully rename what we call our OS. We call
it "Arch Linux" because we like that name. We don't call it "Arch
GNU/Linux" because that sounds stupid.

The GPL explicitly allows us to distribute any software licensed under
it freely. There is no clause in the GPL that we have to include the
name "GNU" in our name in order to do so.

By the FSF's argument, we should call it "Arch
freedesktop/GNU/systemd/KDE/GNOME/Linux", but that sounds even worse.