[arch-general] Arch GNU/Linux install for beginners and new users

Mauro Santos registo.mailling at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 23:45:32 UTC 2016

On 22-09-2016 17:26, Zachary Kline wrote:

> How does one define “third-party installer?” By my reading, the TalkingArch project, which makes the installation process accessible to the visually impaired, could qualify, as it isn’t released by the official Arch maintainers. This would be deeply upsetting to me, as I am only able to use Arch at all thanks to this project.

If I understand correctly, from what the description on the TalkingArch
project webpage says, it is the Arch iso with a few added packages to
help the visually impaired install Arch. I suppose that by this it means
the user is responsible for doing all the steps described in the wiki to
install Arch. I don't see any problem with this.

What I meant before is curses/graphical/one click installers that do
everything automagically. The user will be clueless as to what is
installed and how it is configured, and will waste everyone's time
playing a game of twenty questions to solve a trivial problem when the
solution is many of the times in a wiki page.

--
Mauro Santos