[arch-general] What happened to the Beginner's Guide?

Jason Ryan jasonwryan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 01:00:53 UTC 2016

On 22/09/16 at 05:55pm, Kyle Terrien via arch-general wrote:
>On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 18:16:27 +1200
>Jason Ryan via arch-general <arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> Arch has from the start been clear about its goals and intentions.
>> I'll quote from a section of the wiki that people seem much less
>> familiar with:
>>
>> ”Whereas many GNU/Linux distributions attempt to be more
>> user-friendly, Arch Linux has always been, and shall always remain
>> user-centric. The distribution is intended to fill the needs of those
>> contributing to it, rather than trying to appeal to as many users as
>> possible. It is targeted at the proficient GNU/Linux user, or anyone
>> with a do-it-yourself attitude who is willing to read the
>> documentation, and solve their own problems.”
>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux#User_centrality
>>
>> /J
>>

>Yes, several people have quoted "Arch philosophy" for me.  I am
>familiar with it.  I read it 3 years ago when I first installed Arch.  I
>am also familiar with the fact that there are slightly different
>interpretations of it.
>
>For me, the issue is about framing the goal.  If the goal is to
>"alienate new users that are unwilling to read man pages", then people
>will surely find a way to alienate them.  However, if your goal is to
>give people a minimal amount of information and direct them to the man
>pages where they can read more, then the wiki will be more inviting.
>
>The difference is all in the framing.  I personally prefer to see the
>latter because it is more optimistic and invites those interested to
>help with the distro.

Then we are in agreement; the goal is to provide people with what they
need and to encourage them to explore in more depth, or for edge cases,
the official documentation.

Incidentally, that approach is documented in the talk page leading up to
and after the merge.

/J

--

http://jasonwryan.com/
GPG: 7817 E3FF 578E EEE1 9F64 D40C 445E 52EA B1BD 4E40