[arch-general] Microsoft Signature PC Requirements Now Blocks Linux Installation

Simon Doppler dopsi at dopsi.ch
Wed Sep 28 18:33:44 UTC 2016

On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 11:35:04 -0400
Francis Gerund via arch-general <arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:

> I worry about if and how this will affect Arch.  Any opinions?
>

> On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 11:31 AM, Kyle Bassett via arch-general <
> arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
>
> > This is insane!  Apple set the precedent with smart phones, but now we have
> > Trusted Computing Creep in desktops.  Used are losing further control of
> > their own devices.
> >
> > Ugh.
> >
> > On 28 Sep 2016 11:27, "D C via arch-general" <arch-general at archlinux.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Wow, is MS desperate or something?
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 11:24 AM, Francis Gerund via arch-general
> > <arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
> > > https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/16/09/21/1516230/
> > microsoft-signature-pc-
> > > requirements-now-blocks-linux-installation-reports?sbsrc=md
> > >
> > > It was nice while it lasted.
> > >
> > > <sigh>
> >

> > --
> > Public_Key_Block.asc

This won't really affect Arch any more than any other new hardware
missing a driver, because that's all it really is (source: [1]). This
hardware won't be usable until someone (either a someone with knowledge
and free time or Lenovo or Intel) provides a driver for this hardware.

[1]:
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/53ri0m/warning_microsoft_signature_pc_program_now/d7wekux

--
Simon Doppler (dopsi)