[arch-general] Microsoft Signature PC Requirements Now Blocks Linux Installation

Merlin Büge toni at bluenox07.de
Thu Sep 29 08:06:29 UTC 2016

On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 09:54:17 +0200
Christian Kruse <cjk at defunct.ch> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Maxwell Anselm via arch-general <arch-general at archlinux.org> writes:
>

> >> Do you Have any pointer to good opensource hardware ?
> >

> > Not exactly open-source/FSF-endorsed but https://system76.com/ sells
> > laptops with Ubuntu-preinstalled so those are also guaranteed to run Arch.
>
> Germany has such a company as well:
>
> <http://www.tuxedocomputers.com/>
>
> They're selling devices with either Ubuntu or ElementaryOS
> pre-installed. I bought a InfinityBook, it works pretty well and
> flawless.
>
> UK has something like that, too:
>
> <https://www.entroware.com/store/>
>
> They sell devices with Ubuntu pre-installed.

But note that all that is not open source hardware (as mentioned above).
Also I'm not getting the point in buying such hardware -- there is some linux
distribution preinstalled, but that's it I guess. Or am I missing something?

If you want open source hardware, I recommend looking at
- the EOMA68 project
- Olimex
- upcoming Talos Workstation by Raptor Engineering
- maybe devices supported by libreboot

Regards,

Merlin

--