[arch-general] Link against system libs

Wolfgang Mader Wolfgang_Mader at brain-frog.de
Thu Apr 6 12:13:06 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I have a general question about linking in C++ with which you can probably
clarify for me.

Arch ships with a lot of libraries of which .a and .so are stored in /usr/lib
and beyond. These libraries are compiled by some compiler, the compiler by
which the entire arch linux distribution packages are compiled with. By the
way, which one is this and where can I find that information.

If this compiler is a c++ one, it does its specific name mangling. Thus,
linking against these libs should only be possible for binaries compiled with
the same c++ compiler. However, arch ships gcc6, gcc5, and clang. Does it also
ship libraries for all these compilers or how is it possible for binaries
complied by these different compilers to link successfully?

Best,
Wolfgang